Whether you are just starting out in this world and need to put a foundation wardrobe in place or if you are giving your wardrobe a refresher here are some wardrobe ideas to help you get started.
Two pairs of dark slacks – either black or navy blue. Go with a slim cut in a wool crepe or a seasonless cotton.
One pair of dark slacks for the evening with a fuller cut. These can be a fabric that drapes either a light wool or jersey mix.
Two pairs of jeans -one hemmed for heels and the other hemmed for flats. Jeans that are hemmed for heels you should see just the toe box.
Three skirts – a pencil skirt, a A-line skirt which incidentally looks good on all body types and a skirt in a neutral fabric so you can mix and match with others items like tweed, wool or boucle.
Shirts – A white button front shirt and a few t-shirts.
Three sweaters – The fabric should be a lightweight, merino or cashmere.
- One should be black and match your black trousers.
- The second one should be more neutral like off-white, camel or taupe.
- The third sweater should just simple be a sweater that you love and feel great in. Nothing too dressy – one you can wear to the office and with jeans.
- A tailored jacket that matches your black pants.
- A sporty leather jacket
- A classic trench coat or raincoat with a zip -out wool liner for multiple seasons.
- A knee-length transition coat that works for day and night.
- A winter coat in a wool or cashmere blend or if you live in a warmer climate try tropical wool.
- A little black dress
- A classic leather style with clean lines that works for everything.
- A catch all fun tote bag
- A envelope shaped, bracelet style for the evening.
Shoes (5 pairs)
- A pair of black pumps 2.5-3.5 inch heel in a the current style.
- A evening shoe with a close toe in a black satin.
- A pair of tall black boots
- Bad-weather boots
- A pair of sneakers or tennis shoes.